Use your browser Back button to return to an existing TACS Database Search, or click here to start a new search.
The Red House (NT), Red House Lane, was commissioned by William Morris in 1859 and designed by Philip Webb; it was Morris’s home for five years. The most interesting of the remaining tiles, some of which post-date Morris’s occupation of the house, are two groups of Morris tiles, possibly the first made by the firm. One hundred tiles of three different designs survive as a lining to a garden porch seat; these were designed - and reputedly painted by William Morris himself - around 1861. Original tiles may also be seen in two bedroom fire surrounds, but the identity of the designer is unclear. The Dutch tiles in the dining room fireplace date from around 1880.
1.^ Richard Myers and Hilary Myers, William Morris Tiles - The tile designs of Morris and his Fellow-Workers (Richard Dennis, Shepton Beauchamp, 1996).
The Tile Gazetteer is Copyright © 2005 Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Society and Lynn Pearson, Richard Dennis.